Monday, November 19, 2007

Letting Go

This is truely going to be an exercise in letting go-- particularly of all of those little things I am wont to keep, just in case. I spent almost the whole weekend throwing things away, getting them out for Freecycle, or organizing them so they can be stored. I know I am a packrat, but I amaze even myself how much stuff I can keep. I think about 1/3 is stuff that just didn't get put away or thrown away (like receipts from the hardware store) because I was either lazy at the time, or got interrupted on my way to putting things away. Now I get to purge, and purge, and purge.
Trying to figure out what is worth paying to store, and what small amount of things I want to take along is really hard. We get 5 cubic meters for shipping. If I consider that we need to take some essential cooking items so we can eat the first few days before we actually do some shopping and get our kitchen set up, also we want to bring some things which will make our home feel familiar and "ours" it doesn't leave much room for personal items. Of course we could ship more, and pay for it ourselves, but we don't want to end up with too much stuff there. All the housing I saw had less storage space than we have here at home. So, having a lot of extra stuff around won't be easy.
I have about a month more of time to get the packing and sorting done, I still have one week of travel before the end of the year. I'm starting to feel stressed and like the house is full of boxes. Cindy tried to sell off many of the homeschooling textbooks and resources this weekend, not many people came. We'll try again one more time, but int the mean time, there are 10 boxes of books sitting on the living room floor. Not the most "cozy". I hope the chaos reduces fairly quickly. I know I have a lot of work to do in the garage. I spent 1 day on it this weekend, and got a lot of junk taken care of, now I need to organize all the tools to keep/ sell/ loan out/ take... I suppose a hammer and screw driver might be useful, but none of the power tools will work... At least that decision is made. Ok, enough of that, back to sorting...

1 comment:

Maya said...

If I were you, I'd be having trouble letting go of that apple tree! Wow! We've eaten almost 1/2 that huge tub of apples already, they're so good...