Sunday, October 7, 2007

Bryan and Giselle at the train just before leaving

First post. I should have started this a long time ago. Now I've finally done it.
I saw Giselle first last night after a long trip up from Ulm to Muenchen, doing some work there, and then taking the ICE to Essen. After getting to the hotel, I took a taxi to meet Giselle and her family in Kupferdreh.
She and I went out to dinner at a beerhall, where we had pretty typical German fare. Then we came back to the Hotel and talked a while before I put her in a Taxi home (roughly 20Eur). She seemed to be in very good spirits. Her new family seems very nice, though I didn't get to meet the children. Sylvia works at home half time for IBM. Markus is an Engineer.

That was yesterday. Today I went to meet her in Kupferdreh (a suburb of, formerly a town near, Essen). The train was 15 mins late, and then only went one more stop, from there I had to take a bus. Sylvia and Giselle met me at the station and we drove to the Krup estate. The Krup family moved to Essen from the Netherlands centuries ago (16th if I remember correctly) and then became wealthy through trade and later Iron/Steel processing. Here are a couple of pictures of the house and grounds:

No comments: