Friday, February 13, 2009

It's White, It's clean, it must be

I've been in Finland for the last 5 days. When I arrived, there was some snow on the ground, but mostly ice and it was raining. Then Monday we had sunshine, and about 0C temperatures, By Thursday it was snowing, and today when I woke up it was all white and sparkly. It looked just like winter-wonder-land. By end of the day it was all gone on the roads, mostly gone on the sidewalks, especially downtown, and starting to turn grey in spots from the sand. But away from the roads, it was still white and pristine. I certainly understand why the Finns like it better in Jan/Feb when it is below 0 and the snow sticks on the ground. It really makes the light reflect a lot more and is absolutely beautiful, even in the city limits.

Walking around hasn't been as easy as normal. One has had to avoid icy spots, and sometimes a puddle or two. But all in all it is wonderful to be able to walk the 10 mins from the train to the office in the morning without worrying about falling into the drain, stepping into something, or getting run over by someone. The cars even stop for you when you cross the street-amazing, no? Having a short walk in just sub 0 weather is a really nice brisk way to get the blood moving, the lungs clear, and the head ready for work. I do wish it was easier to walk in Bangalore...

Still, I don't have the best shoes for snowy weather and I will be glad to be back somewhere that my toes don't exclaim they are ready to fall off after I've been outside for 10 mins. Back to warm and sunny Bangalore tomorrow.

1 comment:

Maya said...

At first read I thought is was OC temperatures, as in Orange County, then I realized it was 0C, as in Zero... slightly different!