Monday, November 17, 2008

If it's Tuesday, it must be Delhi

Travel seems to be the word of the day. Last week Sunday I flew to Frankfurt, took a few hours to look around the city, and then flew on to Helsinki, arriving Sunday evening. I spent 5 glorious days in the office, thankfully. It was raining most of the time. Cold, but not cold enough to freeze, roughly 8C in the mornings and evenings. I missed my scarf, but was happy to be wearing my 'husband sweater'-- see snidknits' blog to learn what that is. I came back on Saturday (spent basically the whole day in an airplane, not too much fun considering I had the back row which doesn't even lean back. So my butt was sore by the time I got home.

Sunday was a nice day off. We went to a Thanksgiving/Obama won! party. Had a lot of fun. Several Americans there, and many Indians who had lived in the US somewhere. I met and spent a lot of time talking to a retired gentleman who still goes to the lab he set up where the do arithmetic simulations of the oceans, this involves fluid mechanics, chemistry, biology, and of course the math/computer programming. We had a great conversation about everything from Obama winning, to how Silicon Valley and Bangalore are similar but different, and how Indians and westerners think differently. I found out he went to UCB also... We also met a couple, he works for Reuters, who had raised their sons mostly in Hong Kong, then been in Japan, and now India. Cindy had been to their house for a singalong/choir session. All in all a good time.

Monday--normal day at work, with long meetings, aside from the fact that Manju was taking Cindy home from the Gym at 3:45 (a trip which should have taken 10-15 mins) and they arrived at 7:45. He then had to still come get me. It is now 9:24 and he is still only half way here. There were political demonstrations at a rally for JDS near our house, and the traffic jam is absolutely horrendous. I hope to get home before 11. I leave for Delhi tomorrow morning at 5 to renew visas. I plan to be back in Bangalore late tomorrow evening. Then Wednesday evening we leave for Langkawi, Malaysia. A few days R&R in between our hectic schedules before returning home to the US (oh but wait). On Sunday we arrive somewhere after 11pm from Malaysia, and I should be getting on a plane for the great wet dark (Finland, and a day in Germany) Sunday night, well really Monday morning at 3:30--what fun.

After that it should be two weeks in Bangalore before going back to the US for the holidays. I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

1 comment:

Maya said...

I think this post needs a flow chart and a timeline - visual aids, please!