Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sticky Things

Before I left on my journey to Europe last week, our driver Manju told me that on Wednesday he was taking the car for stickering. I was leaving on Monday night, and would be gone for more than a week, so as long as it didn't interfere with Cindy's life, I didn't care. I wondered a bit what it was all about, but figured it was some sort of registration or validation process that needed to be completed...OK. He told Cindy the same thing the next morning, and she asked more, from what she figured out it was striping on the side-- We kind of liked the car the way it was, but ok, whatever the leasing company wanted to do, we figured it was their business. I came back to find this: Sticker 2 and this: Sticker 1 and this: Sticker 3 and this: Sticker 4 and best of all this: Sticker 5. He paid for this all out of his own pocket, I don't know how much it was, but we are now traveling in a suitably adorned chariot... Our landlord saw all the stickers and commented on all the Ganesha's. Cindy said we are riding in a Ganesh temple on wheels. Well he is supposed to help remove obstacles.

On saturday, we had idli. Idli They are made from a rice/dal(read lentil) flour mixture, left to ferment just long enough to develop some gas bubbles, and then put into an idli pan and steamed for 15 mins. They are a bit sticky (and bland just by themselves) when first cooked, but are delicious with fresh sambar, and coriander chutney. Lalitha also made Badji-- I'm not sure what all was in them, but it seemed like potato, onion and spices, then deepfried till golden brown. The meal was absolutely delicious and she would not stop making idli till we were all overfull and could not eat more. She even had batter left over, so the next day I made some idli--not too hard, until you try to get them out of the pan when they are still too hot. Sticky and crumbly--they refused to let go. 2-3 mins later, they came out just like that. Oh-well, you learn something new every day. Maya even made idli last night with left over batter. I just hope the idli don't stick to our ribs (or elsewhere) too much.

1 comment:

Maya said...

Nice stickers! I bet I could find a Garfield or a Pissing Calvin to add to your collection, if you'd like!