Saturday, March 15, 2008

Short Post

Namaste.

Not a lot exciting has been happening. Cindy and I had a cultural introduction to India, provided by my company this week. Thankfully it cleared up some things we were curious about--i.e. wedding/party etiquette. We weren't sure whether it was going to be useful, but it was really great. We learned a few Hindi phrases. We also learned some about customs, colors, greetings...

Friday I got the show of a lifetime coming home. It took about an hour to come from the office, and it was dark as I didn't leave till 7. I noticed lights flashing around, and then figured out it was lightning. The lightning lasted the whole trip and longer. While I was being driven home, I could not hear the thunder, but the lightning was going almost constantly; mostly it went sideways, or sort of in circles. Absolutely amazing! Too bad inexpensive digital cameras don't have a manual setting for capturing things like lightning at night.

Then later in the evening Cindy and I were watching a movie, suddenly she says "It's going to rain, I can smell it" and it did. It rained hard for a little while, not long. Today it absolutely poured after Anna and I got home from our shopping trip this afternoon. The rain was coming down so hard that the top bedroom (the one which leaked before) sounded like someone was playing a snare drum on the roof. Fortunately I didn't detect any leaking either yesterday or today. The rain is great. It does make the air very humid, but it helps to cut down the air pollution which was getting pretty bad.

Today Anna and I had a shopping trip. Before leaving this morning Lahlita made Masala Dosas for breakfast. Last week when Cindy was sick, I stayed home and worked out of my home office for a day. Anna had previously mentioned that she wanted Dosas for breakfast sometime, so I asked Lahlita to make some this weekend. She was happy to oblige. They took a bit of preparation on her part, but they were delicious. She told us they were not quite so good as she had store flour rather than home ground and fermented. But they were still delicious. Fresh coconut and chili chutney, with spicy potatoes in the dosas, did I mention they were delicious. It is a good thing she doesn't cook for us all the time, I'd get fat just on breakfast. She insisted that I eat 2 of them, and then a plain dosa to cap it off with just the chutney. I couldn't turn her down! And she was just beaming with joy that we enjoyed them so much. Next she wants to make Idlis for us. I am looking forward to that. I must say, I think we're getting spoiled.

Bye for now